Friday, January 22, 2010

The Horrible Truth!!!

I've said it before, my friends hate it when I blow the whistle on their favorite restaurants/dishes. I know its annoying but personally I find it just as bad to withold nutritional information as much as it is to withold knowledge of roaches and rat droppings. Knowing what goes into your food is so important on every level. That being said, Fitness Spotlight has exposed some of the least suspicious dishes. Some of these weren't news to me but they definitely ruined my favorite Angel Food smoothie from Smoothie King. Needless to say, I guess I wont be punching anymore holes in my frequent customer card. Here are some of the highlights, if you can call them that.

"Smoothie King 20oz Angel Food Smoothie
Evocative imagery of angels…really, how bad can it be if it’s for angels?. Check out this genius marketing:

'Angels have to be light on their wings—those things are delicate. In that case, they’d have no problem feasting on this fantastic low-fat blend of banana and strawberries. It’s creamy, delicious and fit, well, for an angel.'

What I want to know is how they can run this in the “Trim Down” line when 85% of the calories are sugar? 354 calories, 75g sugar (84g carbs total), 0g fat. Just for comparison, 20oz of Coca-Cola only has 68g of sugar.
Better Bet: Don’t go here. All of their drinks are crap. I prefer solid food, but if you want a shake/smoothie, check out 5 Sweet Savory Primal Shakes from Mark’s Daily Apple."


Now PF Changs is something that I've warned people against since the day I bravely ventured into their nutritional facts page. Just so you have an of idea how traumatizing this was, I remember where I was, what we were doing and who I was with and this was over 2 years ago.

PF Chang’s Chicken Noodle Soup
It doesn’t get more wholesome than chicken noodle soup, does it? Well, except for the processed grains in the noodles. But really, in the grand scheme of things, how bad can a bowl of soup really be? 759 calories, 24g of fat, and 92g of carbohydrates. There’s a snooze waiting to happen. What’s funny is if you view the nutrition info, it seems pretty light at only 120 calories. Until you realize that a serving is 7oz and the bowl it comes in is 32oz. Nice sleight of hand there, Chang’s.


You can check out PF Chang's nutrition facts here if you dare!

Let me make it clear, I enjoy Chinese food and junk as much as the next person I just think that at this point in my life I need to be educated on making the right decisions for myself to succeed at the goals I have set forth for myself. In the past I'd be completely happy with a bottle of champagne, lo mein noodles and a pack of skittles but these days I guess I'll just narrow it down to the champagne alone and only on the weekends after eating clean for the whole week.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment